A series on Rotterdam – Erasmusbrug/Erasmus Bridge (Part 1)

With almost 620.000 residents, Rotterdam is the second largest city of The Netherlands. The port of Rotterdam has been the busiest port of the world since 1962, until it this “first place” was overtaken by Singapore in 2002, and later Shanghai. Unfortunately there aren’t many old buildings left in Rotterdam, due to the heavy bombing on May 14, 1940 during the Rotterdam Blitz by the Luftwaffe (German Air force). Being rebuilt, Rotterdam now is known for it’s modern architecture.

In the next weeks, my posts will be about Rotterdam, an ode to the new world.

Rotterdam

You can still find signs of the old harbor of Rotterdam.

As one of my clients is located in Rotterdam, I am a regular visitor of this city. And since this city is great for photography, it is custom for me to bring my camera on business trips.

Starting with this post, I’ll show you the architecture of the city center in a series of blogs for the next few weeks. All of the photos this week, are taken on and around the Erasmus Bridge.

Rotterdam

A building of a Dutch telecom, near the Erasmus Bridge.

The Erasmusbrug (“brug” is Dutch for bridge) is about 800 meters long, and 139 meters high. An impressive bridge, and probably the most photographed one in The Netherlands.

Rotterdam

Rotterdam is split by the river Maas, or in French Meuse. The Erasmus bridge connects both parts of Rotterdam.

In the middle of the river Maas, there is a small island, called Noordereiland (Northern Island), dug in 1872. It can be wonderfully seen from the Erasmusbrug.

Rotterdam

The “North Island” in Rotterdam, photographed while standing on the Erasmusbrug. A little island in the middle of the Rotterdam.

And, what do you think? Did Rotterdam recover from the heavy bombing by the Germans?

Kind regards,

Tieme

16 Comments

Thank you for your kind words! This is a bridge that deserves to be in the spot lights 😉

Cheers,
      Tieme

Thanks a lot! It was a bit rainy that evening, so I am glad my efforts of that cold wet evening paid off a bit 🙂

Cheers!
      Tieme

1. Reply

Great storyline. Mixing the historical aspect of what happened in WWII and showing the greatest architecture known to mankind! I studied all this history thoroughly when I did a year of genealogy on family and I lived in Europe for 10 years. My mother was born in Berlin so I know too painstakingly the cost of war and my dad was a POW in Staleg 17. Finding a great blogging theme is important and you got one here! I was just talking about the writing process today on my own blog and finding something worthy to blog on.

Thank you very much for your words Alesia! I appreciate and value them a lot! Wow, our parents / grandparents had to endure a lot back then. I love that I am free of war! And feel sadness for those who aren’t free of war 🙁 That is quite a heavy history for your parents and grandparents.

The architecture in Rotterdam is great indeed. Ten years ago it was a cold modern city, but today it’s a hip modern city! In the next few weeks I’ll share a lot of photos on Rotterdam! And since I work there, lately I start to explore the city more and more 🙂

Finding a blogging theme indeed is important, but also difficult! I don’t care for blogs about “today I went to the Zoo”, I hope to share some nice pictures and good information, which costs a lot of time and demands creativity. And I am experiencing a “writers block”, so I am in “difficult weather” right now 😉

I’ll check out your article!

Have a great day!

Warm regards,
      Tieme

2. John Hagenouw

Hoi Tieme,

Leuke site met schitterende foto’s.
    Mijn complimenten.

Groet,

John

Hoi John,

Hartelijk dank voor je complimenten! Leuk jou naam voorbij te zien komen 🙂

Vriendelijke groet,
      Tieme

3. Pingback: A series on Rotterdam – Erasmusbrug/Erasmus Bridge (Part 2) | Luvo

Thank you very much! The photo of the island worked out well, and I am happy you agree 🙂

Have a great week!